Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Were I the one to design your heart X


In reflection, 10 years ago....

When even the gulls were frozen

In muted skies of disbelief

When we were as simple as Autumn rain

The house we grew up in and the yard where we'd play

When Sundays traced by like slow motion

When razor Winter was so far across the ocean....

When I held you close in that room with frosted panes

When every song you shook from your hair sang my name

When your black army jacket danced in the breeze

On that October night you saved me from the sea

When war was just a spot on the news

And we walked through the snow with painted hearts on our boots

When we thought these days never end.

Could never end

How could I have agreed to go?

To pass into the open arms of sorrow while you suffered alone.

Still, torrents of paper angels fall from your hair

I hold you shining eyes with mine and swear.....

Nothing could have ever kept us apart

If only I were the one to design your heart.

October

No comments: